A permanent replacement for a leaky roof, that has a lower maintenance cost while improving the appeal of the house, sounds like something very rare and difficult to do. But there is an easy solution to it and that is metal roofing. It is the protection against a damp and moist ceiling that drips water like a drippy tap in the monsoons. Choosing what is the best solution for roofing in the industry is a very wise decision to make.
Why Choose it?
Whether having roofing done of a new home or the existing one requires a revamping in the look, there are various options for designs as well as material. One of the most versatile materials is metal. Metal roofing, has a longer life, lower maintenance requirement and good energy efficiency. There are many metals to choose from, like tin, zinc, aluminum, copper or galvanized steel, are strong but can also be molded into various shapes.
There are many advantages of getting metal roofing done and they are listed as follows:
- Durability: Metal roofs are very durable. They can sustain high wind speeds; some can even withstand up to 140 miles an hour of wind speed. They do not corrode or crack and are resistant to impact at various degrees depending on the type of metal.
- Longevity: Metal roofs have a good lifespan of 40-70 years, pretty much dependent on the material. While the traditional roofing material, like asphalt, lasts for around only 12-20 years.
- Safety: Metal roofs do not spark or burn, during wildfires or lightning strike.
- Environment-Friendly: Metal roofing is made up of 25-95% recycled metals, and is totally recyclable.
- Energy Efficiency: Metals roofs effectively reflect a considerable amount of solar heat, which helps reduce cooling costs by 10-25%.
But it has a few disadvantages associated with it as well.
The Down Side
Although metal roofing has many benefits attached to it, there are a few negatives too, that are mentioned as follows:
- Noisiness: Metal roofs can be noisy without a sound insulation done on the roof, especially during heavy rain or hailstorms. Adding insulation leads to increase in roofing cost.
- Expansion and Contraction: Metal panels tend to expand and contract based on the weather, and if these panels are not put properly using fasteners, they let the expansion and contraction occur which may lead to loosening of the plates.
- Performance: If there is an accumulation of water or any other corrosive material, due to improper design and installation, then the roof may have a serious damage. Some metals may get easily dented and rusted easily in certain climates.
- Affordability: Metal roofing can prove to be 3 to 4 times more expensive than the other roofing material. Investing in metal roofing only makes sense when the people in the house are going to stay for a long time.
- The inconsistency of Color Matching: If an extension of the home is to be done or there is a repair to be made then, an exact match of the existing metal is very difficult to find.
A proper roofing solution is a requirement of a good home. Roofing requires a lot of maintenance and is a very important part of the structure of the home. It is required to have a well built, good quality roof that has a good weather resistance and longevity while being easy to maintain. All this is possible with metal roofing. It has all those benefits while also being eco-friendly. However, when it comes to cost it may have a few downsides, metal roofing is yet a great option for roofing that is required to last for a long time.